Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Time Management

Do You Have Time Management Issues?


Business owners and managers often struggle with managing time efficiently. There are many root causes for time waste that can be addressed to improve effectiveness of the business.
Here are a few thought starters:

1. Project assignments. Have you assigned the right person to the right job? An employee may appear to have a problem managing time but they may be in a role or doing a jog they are not suited for.

2. Delegation. As owner/manager do you have poor delegation skills or do you not delegate in order to maintain control? The need to do everything yourself can dramatically impact your time management.

3. Meetings. How many meetings held are really effective? A lot of time can be wasted in unnecessary or poorly organized meetings.

4. Training. Do staff members need training to perform better? What appears to be a time management issue may be a training need.

5. Planning. Are the business’ plans well defined? If direction is unclear staff may struggle to know how to prioritize work activity.

These are samples of business issues that may mask what appear to be time management issues. There can be many others; examination of each may uncover root causes of poor productivity.

If you have thoughts to share please let me know.
Gerry@polarisgroupmc.com

1 comment:

  1. Dear Gerry,

    I liked the image and I have a question for you: Is these 5 points based on any priority or importance?

    Because I believe planning comes first and then project assignments and the rest follows. Without planning nothing can be started or completed isn't it?

    But, I do like the way you categorize all these factors, especially I appreciate the thought that you are sharing your valuable experience. I think, instead of doing all this manually, using a tool would make sense, what do you think about this?

    I had been using various tools in my day to day life, being a busy mom and working from home, this makes me organized and productive. I had been using Replicon(employee time tracking software) for time management, Quickbooks(quickbooks.intuit.com) for accounts management and Basecamp for project management. By this my mode of working and way of reporting has changed. Everybody use different tools based on their requirement, but I would like to hear from you, put in all your experience, I would like to get your suggestions or feedback on these tools.

    Thanks,

    Vincy

    ReplyDelete