The point of a corporate ethics code is to promote ethical behavior – not to enhance productivity, profits or public relations. Still, a sound, well-administered code can benefit a company and its stakeholders in a variety of ways.
Here are a few thoughts to consider:
1. Guide employees in situations where the ethical course of action is not immediately obvious.
2. Help the company reinforce – and acquaint new employees with – its culture and values. A code can help create a climate of integrity and excellence.
3. Minimize subjective and inconsistent management standards. A code explicitly outlines the rights and responsibilities of staff members and helps guard against capricious and preferential treatment of employees.
4. Build public trust and enhance business reputations. Also, a code helps demonstrate the company’s values to socially responsible investors.
5. Enhance morale, employee pride, loyalty and the recruiting of outstanding employees.
I hope these comments provide some help on this often difficult topic. Please let me know your thoughts: firstname.lastname@example.org