Time is one of the resources business managers have that is scarce, cannot be replaced once spent, and it cannot be borrowed or purchased. Here are a few tips to help manage it.
1. Plan your day. Before starting the day, schedule your activity including your own time for high priority thoughts and activity to grow the business. Schedule some time for interruptions that are bound to happen.
2. Take time. Before making calls take 5 minutes to determine what results you expect to attain and review results after to see if the goal was achieved.
3. Calls and email. Try not answering the phone every time it rings or reading an email just because it shows up. Few issues in business require an instant answer and you will be more efficient if you schedule time to return calls and email inquiries.
4. Plan the unexpected. It is inevitable that the unexpected will occur so leave open time in the morning and afternoon schedule to deal with “fires”.
5. Plan Strategic time. Plan ahead for weekly, monthly, and quarterly business reviews. It is important to continuously review and understand the business issues and if you fail to block off time some emergency may pre-empt the time and your plan will be postponed or eliminated.
6. Downtime. Casual time over lunch can be useful for strengthening relations with employees, customers and suppliers. Use that time judiciously.
Remember that it is difficult to get everything done and bet results are achieved from those priority activities that are the focus of the business and future growth.
Thanks for allowing me to share your time with these tips.